Monday, October 20, 2008

I am posting this just so I never forget.

*This is the eulogy I read at my grandmother's funeral. I wanted to put here so that I will always remember it and I can never lose it.

There are no words I can say that will express how much I loved my Mawmaw and there are no words that can adequately describe the amazing person that she is. She was the most wonderful person that you will ever meet and I am so lucky that she is my Mawmaw. She offered me help countless times and she was my source of strength countless times. And you know what, this time is no different. My Mawmaw was there to help me with this too. On the very last page of her bible she had some bible verses written down. Those verses are perfect for today.
First I found Philippians Chapter 1 verses 20- 24 which reads:
“For I live in eager expectation and hope that I will never do anything that will cause me shame, but that I will always be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past, and that my life will always honor Christ, whether I live or die. For to me, living is for Christ, and dying is even better. Yet if I live, that means fruitful service for Christ. I really don’t know which is better. I’m torn between two desires: Sometimes I want to live, and sometimes I long to go and be with Christ. That would be far better for me, but it is better for you that I live.”
It was definitely better for us that she lived. But now Mawmaw is rejoicing in heaven with her Lord.

Also on that last page Mawmaw had written II Timothy Chapter 4 Verses 6-8 which reads:
“As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me.”
No one deserves that prize more than her.

In this time of great sorrow, all we can do is lean on our Lord God for strength. In the book of Isaiah, the Lord promises to dry our tears and smooth out the road in front of us. We must find peace in these promises.
The final piece of wisdom Mawmaw laid out for me was found bookmarked in her bible. I Samuel Chapter 2 Verse 1 reads “My heart rejoices in the Lord! Oh how the Lord has blessed me!”
And that is true, we must thank the Lord God that we have been truly blessed by being privileged enough to have a woman like Mawmaw touch our lives.

No comments: